Description: In this online class, an up-to-date neuroscientific approach to posture and pain will be explored and contrasted with the outdated, tissue-based approach that is prevalent throughout culture and healthcare. Students will learn the latest in the neuroscience of pain, with particular emphasis on the difference between nociception and pain, the process of descending modulation, and the role of psychosocial influences on chronic pain.
Objectives: By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Compare and contrast a tissue-centric approach on posture and pain with a neuroscientific approach.
- Describe why a tissue-centric approach to posture and pain is inaccurate and harmful.
- Describe the difference between nociception and pain.
- Describe descending modulation and its relevance to pain.
- List psychosocial and relational influences that can increase or decrease a person’s experience of pain.